- 33,300,000 people are living with HIV/AIDS
- 30,800,00 adults are living with HIV/AIDS
- 15,900,000 women are living with HIV/AIDS
- 2,500,000 children are living with HIV/AIDS
- 2,600,000 people are newly infected with HIV
- 2,200,000 adults are newly infected with HIV
- 1,800,000 AIDS deaths in 2009
Sub-Saharan Africa carries the greatest burden of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, with some 68% of the population living with HIV.
Epidemics in Asia have remained relatively stable and are still largely concentrated among high-risk groups.
Conversely, the number of people living with HIV in Eastern Europe and Central Asia has almost tripled since 2000.